Thursday, June 18, 2009

Taking Comfort in Small Joys

Atlantic correspondent Christina Davidson recently highlighted the Pearl Buck Museum in her series Recession Road Trip:

"I knew driving north on US 219 would take me through some of the most lush and pristine wilderness that can be found anywhere in the country. What I did not realize was that the route would pass by the birthplace of Pearl Buck. Since I brought The Good Earth in my traveling library, it seemed fated that I stop for a visit.

Marietta Stemple and Betty Morrison, two lifetime residents of the area, tag-teamed my tour of the house, perfectly restored to its original 1847 glory. They described how Buck's Dutch grandfather had chopped down the trees to make the planks and beams of the solid wood and brick structure, where her mother had grown up and Pearl had been born before her parents moved to China. . . ."

Full Article: "Taking Comfort in Small Joys"

No comments:

Post a Comment